If there was an item you may need not just in the home but in your car and your office would be a hand held steam cleaner. This may seem like a "little much" so you may opt to just acquire one good one. That is fine. The key here is that if you wish to make sure you always look your best, you will need to always make sure that your clothes are clean. Among the best ways to do this, you should acquire a portable steamer. Really, it is a tremendous benefit to have one of these cleaners because you can avoid making a very bad impression if a problem arises where your clothes are stained or left it a disheveled state.
Such a state really only needs to be temporary. With access to a hand held steam cleaner, you can quickly correct the problem. Actually, if you can correct the problem then the problem is not much of a problem. Well, it will not be a problem if you have access to a name brand hand held steam cleaner then you likely will not be too concerned about your unkempt clothes since the portable cleaner can fix them relatively quickly.
Won't this cost quite a bit of money? The truth is there are some models which come with high prices. However, there are scores of excellent portable cleaners that come with relatively low costs. And yes, you can still acquire the same amount of quality with an inexpensive cleaner.
One of the greatest benefits to these devices would be the fact that they are quite light and compact. Once again, the most common reason why you would want quick and easy access to such portable cleaners is because you might have your appearance accidentally disheveled without warning. It would be difficult to access your cleaner if you could not easily transport it. A truly portable cleaner is a light and compact one since such attributes will enhance the portability of the cleaner. The obvious benefit here would be the fact that if you cannot access the benefits of the cleaner they it has little value. Since you can acquire a low cost and easily portable hand help steam cleaner, you will never have to run into such problems...and your clothes will always remain clean.
You can then gain all the many rewards that wearing such clean and neat clothes all the time.
But, what would be the most important of all attributes to a portable steamer? Without a doubt, you will want to acquire a hand help steam cleaner that is reliable. If the portable steamer does not offer the a solid amount of steam that can effectively clean your clothing immediately then it is not of much value. However, if you were to acquire a quality steamer maybe by a name brand company, you would likely not find any problems with reliability.
And the truth is a reliable cleaner will never let your down and always will keep your appearance appealing.
During the Democratic convention the Reverend Al Sharpton quoted a shocking statistic: One third of the children in Harlem suffer from asthma. This shouldn't be completely surprising since asthma cases have been consistently increasing over the years, especially in the cities, escalating recently during the rollback of some key environmental laws, but it is a trend we must turn back.
While parents have only limited control over the environment where they raise their children, there is a personal environmental decision they can make that may dramatically reduce the symptoms their children experience. It all comes down to detergent, and not just any detergent. It is the detergent that they use to wash their children's clothes and sheets. The biggest selling detergents in the United States contain large amounts of irritating phosphates, which are not only a major irritant to the skin and respiratory system, but a source of serious pollution, and a component in global warming.
If you are wondering if your laundry detergent contains phosphates just read the label, it is listed there. In most industrialized countries phosphate detergents are outlawed for good reason, but in the United States the chemical industry has a strong lobby and cheap phosphates help manufacturers keep their costs low, so their use continues. The next time you walk though the laundry detergent section of your supermarket, take a deep breath and notice how much the smell irritates your nose and lungs.
What kinds of detergent contain low, or no phosphates? Baby detergent! No mother would dream of washing their newborn's clothes and sheets in the family's powdered detergent! That would give their baby's delicate skin rashes, not to mention an increase in crying and crankiness. There are many readily available natural detergents that are phosphate-free and it's worth the time to find them.
We have noticed tremendous improvements for both children and adults when their clothes and sheets are consistently washed in a phosphate-free detergent. By itself this change may not alleviate all of the symptoms of asthma and those related skin rashes, but it clearly removes an insidious irritant from the equation.
It might be helpful to explain why this simple change is so effective. Testing in Europe shows that, while sleeping, people are between two thousand and ten thousand times more sensitive to chemical and electromagnetic pollution than while they are awake. When a child's pajamas are washed with a chemical irritant and they sleep on bedclothes containing those same toxins, their immune system is challenged nightly, during a time when they are most vulnerable. Their body's nutritional reserves are consumed in that battle and they are less able to defend themselves from the pollutants they encounter during their day. Asthma and allergies are not produced by a single irritant, but by an accumulation of minor irritants that eventually overwhelm the body's ability to adapt. It is not a huge leap to imagine that removing a respiratory irritant from the sleeping environment, where a person spends one third of their time, is going to produce an improvement in a child's ability to breathe.
Baskets are a perfect "tool" to use in organizing your home. They're often inexpensive, beautiful and functional items. And baskets are usually made of quite durable materials for the typical person's usage. You can use them in every room of your home. Use them to organize and store everything from your kitchen utensils to your bathroom towels to your child's toys.
In a way, baskets are a magical organizational tool. Why? Baskets are decorative items that hide mess right before your eyes (and those of your visitors). They're your home organization magic wand--the one that makes disarray disappear in seconds.
Here are seven types of baskets and how to use them to organize your home.
1. Stair Basket - A stair basket is shaped like the letter "L" upside down. Set one on your top step or your bottom step of your staircase. Fill the basket ongoing throughout the day with things that need to go up or down. That way you only make one trip. And whichever direction you go with it, up or down the stairs, leave it at the opposite end of the stairs once it's empty. That way your next trip with the basket will include items that go to the opposite end of your home.
2. Bushel and Peck Baskets - These look like wide, round pails and usually have swinging metal handles. They're deep baskets (that hold a bushel or a peck, for example). And unless you're a farmer (or selling produce at a farmer's market), you won't want to fill them with dozens of tomatoes, apples or other fruits and vegetable (unless you have a lot of immediate family members to feed!). Instead fill them with your children's miscellaneous toys divided into different categories for each basket (dolls, soldiers, rubber balls, etc.).
3. Wicker File Baskets - Wicker file storage baskets or boxes are becoming quite popular. You'll find them in lots of mainstream stores or specialty organizing stores. They're sort of square or rectangular shaped baskets (to accommodate hanging file folders or manila file folders). Usually the wicker file storage basket is made of rattan (because it's quite sturdy and durable). And they'll often have a lid and swinging handle so you can go mobile with the baskets from room-to-room. For instance, carry the file basket from your home office closet to the kitchen table to do your work. Just store the file basket on a shelf in your home office like you would a box. Or store the basket in the open; that's okay because wicker file baskets are much more stylish to look at than a plain paper file storage box or traditional metal filing cabinet. A wicker file basket is part of your home decor.
4. Utensil Caddy - You've probably seen these at picnics. They're a caddy or basket with dividers and a handle so you can tote it around. A picnic caddy might be used to separate the knives, forks, napkins, etc. The utensil caddy might be made of rattan or willow or something else even such as plastic. Use them in your kitchen to separate whatever you'd like (anything from straws and coffee filters to plastic forks and knives). These baskets work in the bathroom too for separating and toting toiletries.
5. Hanging Wall Pocket Baskets - These baskets, often wire or rattan, have a flat back so the basket hangs flat against the wall and a pocket opening. Stuff it with oven mitts in the kitchen. Or fill a "pot-bellied" wall pocket basket with a decorative flower arrangement and hang it in the foyer.
6. Wicker Hamper - The best thing about a wicker hamper is it's lightweight and durable. Fill it with guest pillows in storage or your child's large collection of stuffed animals. You'll find many sizes ranging from mini hampers to full-size hampers. Rattan is common in hampers. But look for rag basket/hampers too for ones that are more unique and stylish.
7. Wine Caddy - Store your bubbly in a vertical, cylindrical shaped wine caddy or tote it in one that has a top handle. A wicker wine caddy is an inexpensive way to jazz up a gift bottle of wine (and it's classier than a paper gift bag.). Just line the caddy with some colorful tissue paper that starts at the inside basket base and fluffs up all the way around the wine bottle where you can see it. Then tie some curly, sparkling streams of ribbon to the handle. When your gift recipients are done with the wine, they can use the wine caddy basket to store tall utensils.
So where do you get all these nifty baskets? From everywhere. Here are six places where you can purchase baskets (or perhaps even get them for free):
from online stores that solely specialize in baskets
from flea markets
from yard sales
from home decor bricks-and-mortar stores
from home decor online retailers
from friends who are discarding empty gift baskets (Ask them ahead of time to save them for you year-round.)
And don't forget, even the plainest, ugliest basket (in your opinion) can be painted or adorned and decorated in many other ways. Don't discard these functional, handmade works of art.